Technical Writer - Mid
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations
Business Group Highlights
The Intelligence group provides high-end systems engineering and integration products and services, data analytics and software development to national and military intelligence customers. Serving federal agencies and the Intelligence Community for more than 50 years, the Intelligence group helps our clients meet their mission needs by providing trusted advisors, leading-edge technologies, and innovative solutions.
The Senior Technical Writer will be supporting a highly complex information technology program and will be responsible for participating in activities at any point in the system development life cycle including documenting systems analysis/requirements definition, design, development, integration, testing, acceptance/deployment, sustainment/maintenance, and evaluation. The Technical Writer will support the development, review and edit of documentation required as part of the client and program’s contract deliverables. Work is within and across matrixed teams to produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience.
Specific tasks that the Technical Writer will ensure is accomplished, either online or as instructor-led opportunities, includes:
- Assists in collecting and organizing information required for preparation of documents, training materials, guides, proposals, and reports
- Provides technical edits to engineering documentation, software documentation, manuals, reports, or any other documents or presentations
- Utilizes strong writing, editing, and communication skills to analyze and present complex information in a format that is easy to read and understand
- Works with teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of scientific and technical information, documentation content, and requirements
- With no guidance, develops diagrams, charts, and graphs that increase the user’s understanding
- Develops high-quality documentation with no guidance that is easy-to-understand, easy to use, meets applicable standards, and meets the objectives and goals for the intended audience
- Create operating instructions, “How To” manuals, assembly instructions, and “Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)” pages to help technical support staff, consumers, and other users within the directorate.
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements.
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation.
- Work with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit outdated documents, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage.
- Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences.
- Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals.
- Oversees preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts.
- Conducts quality review of materials.
- Translates complex data into user-friendly text for print and electronic publications, such as technical journals, user and training manuals, government proposals, websites and podcasts.
- Gathers information through research, statistical reports and interviews with technical staff.
- Develops cataloging systems, and maintains records, files, electronic media and archiving of information for publications.
- Assists in preparing material for technical seminars and business forums.
- May be called upon to assist in technical or business presentations in such meetings as business or customer needs require.
- Selects or recommends use of layouts, graphics, drawings, tables, exhibits, illustrations, charts, or storyboards to amplify or clarify publications objectives.
- A minimum of TS security clearance with SCI eligibility.
- Bachelor's (or equivalent) with 6-8 years of experience, or a Master's and 3 to 5 years of experience.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent communications
- Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office and excellent writing skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Strong initiative, problem solving, priority setting, and collaboration skills.
- Skilled in wordsmithing/writing to develop, update and/or maintain product manuals, how-to guides, website help sections, technical white papers, process and procedure manuals, and other content that distills technical information with ease and clarity.
- Experience providing quality of products that are delivered to meet or exceed established quality standards.
- Able to understand and document 'as-is environments' and keep documents up-to-date.
- Assist team members with maintaining detailed and accurate network documentation including inventories, policies, procedures, configuration, network topology, etc.
- Able to keep process and procedural documentation of all work activities up-to-date.
- The ability to accurately collect information in order to understand and assess business need as well as communicate technology concepts effectively with all clients.
- Proactive approach to customer/or client challenges, applying problem solving skills to achieve results.
- Ability to present material in a formal manner to customers and internal leadership on statuses, risks, issues
- Broad experience in a variety of technologies with excellent organization skills15. Ability to follow security protocols to protect sensitive data.
- STEM Masters degree (e.g., computer science, management information systems, systems engineering).
- Certification, (i.e. Certificate in Technical Writing).
- Familiarity with Agile systems implementation methodologies.
- Mission/Business Capability analysis experience determining how a capability should work and how changes in conditions, threat, mission, ROE, operations, technology and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Emphasizes personal and professional growth. Keeps knowledge and skills current.
- Working knowledge of the Systems Approach to Training/Instructional Systems Design (SAT/ISD) methodologies
- Experience developing plans, processes, schedules tools, techniques to effectively develop and manage schedules for training/outreach organizations ensuring customer satisfaction in addition to analyzing/assessing results, incorporating into continuous improvement.
Email this job to a friendRefer
What matters to our nation, is what matters to us. At Perspecta, everything we do, from conducting innovative research to cultivating strong relationships, supports one imperative: ensuring that your work succeeds. Our company was formed to bring a broad array of capabilities to all parts of the public sector—from investigative services and IT strategy to systems work and next-generation engineering.
Our promise is simple: never stop solving our nation’s most complex challenges. And with a workforce of approximately 14,000, more than 48 percent of which is cleared, we have been trusted to just that, as a partner of choice across the entire sector.
Perspecta is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
As a government contractor, Perspecta abides by the following provision
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Loading some great jobs for you...